- Click here for the above and additional links.
- Pests and diseases that affect palms and their solutions.
- INTERNATIONAL PALM SOCIETY
Welcome to our island on the web
There are several options available for society membership.
For more information and membership benefits. click here.
The Hawaii Island Palm Society, (HIPS), is a great group of people who simply love palms and who strive to promote their use in private gardens and the general landscape. It is also our goal to perpetuate rare and endangered palms worldwide, through the sharing of seeds and plants. Our volunteer organization is a member of the International Palm Society and is dedicated to community outreach and education.
The Society was born back in 1974 as an outgrowth of a landscaping class at the Hawaii Community College being taught by Norm Bezona. From the nine people that attended the first meeting, we have grown into an organization with close to 200 members. We meet on a regular basis and publish a newsletter and event mailings as needed.
HIPS is also involved in the planning, planting, and maintaining the outstanding palm tree collection at the Panaewa Rain Forest Zoo in Hilo. Click here to read more about the zoo and the evolution of it's extraordinary palm collection.
- A partial list and brief description of reference material available to enhance your knowledge. Click here.
- HIPS library with books and periodicals available for checkout. Click here.
- Botanical gardens and public places in Hawaii where you can see rare or uncommon palm trees. Click here.
- Online palm information and photos of private gardens.
Send us an email. Click here,
Current copy of the Newsletter
Volunteering for Upcoming Events!
We need your help!
We can always use volunteer help for our lectures, garden tours, public outreach events, and
the Annual BBQ.
We may be calling you for your help for various events…….you’ll have a lot of fun too.
Give a ring to Mary Lock (808) 430-0401
HAWAI'I ISLAND PALM SOCIETY
Hawaii Island Palm Society
P.O. Box 1585
Kea'au, Hi 96749
Or you can contact us at: